Although the official first day of winter is just under a month away, now is the time to start winter-proofing your hair and skin. While winterizing might be thought of as something one does to prepare their closet for the colder months, it is also something that many beauty specialists recommend in order to keep that healthy summer glow all year around. So just as you might re-organize your closet so that you can access your sweaters and scarves, you need to make time for winterizing your beauty routine.
Winterizing Your Beauty Routine
If you are unfamiliar with the idea of winterizing your beauty regiment, then this is the winter to do so. Let’s get started:
1. Shine On – With the drier air of winter, it is common to deal with static-y hair. A great way to combat this is with products such as Aveda’s Light Elements Soothing Fluid or the Brilliant Spray on Shine.
2. Frizz Relief -If you deal with more frizz than you prefer during the winter, then consider a product such as Dry Remedy shampoo or Aveda’s Cherry Almond Softening Shampoo and Conditioner.
3. Add Moisture – For many people, winter seems to dry out their hair, making it more prone to breakage. To minimize this issue, consider adding some Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil.
4. Wear a Masque – In addition to combating dry hair with an oil, consider adding a hair masque to your winter schedule. We suggest using the Dry Remedy masque at least once a week. If you shampoo daily then you can use it as many as 3 times weekly.
5. Stay Cool – Just because it is cold outside doesn’t mean we need to turn the water temperature up when showering. In fact it is best to keep it at a comfortably warm temp as this keeps hair and skin from being dried out.
6. Use a Humidifier – Living in Georgia, we all understand what humidity is. However, during the winter we actually need a bit of that humidity in our homes. Consider getting a humidifier to run at night as this will actually help keep your hair and skin moist. It also helps you breathe deeper and thus, sleep better.
7. Keep Moving – It’s tempting to avoid cool weather and just stay inside as much as possible. But if you stay active and drink more water it helps to give skin a healthy glow. To boost the benefits of the water a bit, consider drinking warm water with some lemon and ginger added as this helps boost energy.
8. Hydrate – Not only will drinking more water improve your skin, but you can also protect it by using Botanical Hydrating Treatment Lotion from Aveda.
9. Exfoliate – While many think that exfoliating should not be a part of winterizing your beauty routine, the Aveda team (and many other skin professionals) disagree. Exfoliating will remove dead skin cells and let the new ones take over giving you beautiful healthy skin. A few great Aveda exfoliation products include Botanical Kinetics Liquid Exfoliant, Botanical Kinetics Radiant Skin Refiner or the Beautifying Radiance Polish. Talk to one of our true Salon specialists to determine which is best for you.
Winterizing your beauty routine is the best way to keep your skin looking beautiful, regardless of the weather outside. At true, we have many great products all naturally designed to be perfect for your hair and skin. Come by today to begin your best winter look ever.