Dry hair can be frustrating. Sure, it might mean being able to go a bit longer between shampooing but other than that most people with dry hair find it challenging. After all, no one likes to deal with frizziness, the dullness it often has, and the split ends it is prone to. Fortunately, having dry hair can be remedied – it just takes a bit of intentionality.
Common Causes of Dry Hair
Before addressing what to do about dry hair, first understand what can cause it. The four main culprits are:
- The elements – sun exposure, extreme heat, humidity, and cold weather can all zap the moisture from your hair.
- Over-washing – Taking a shower every day is great, washing your hair daily is not. Frequent hair-washing can strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it dry and dull.
- Hot Styling tools – Frequent use of these tools can dry out your hair.
- Genetics – Some people simply have dry hair. Thankfully, there are things that you can do to combat that.
10 Ways to Add Life to Dry Hair
- If you have naturally dry hair, then it is important to determine how often to wash it. In many cases, you only need to wash it one to two times a week. Also, be sure you are using a shampoo such as Aveda’s Nutriplenish Light or Deep Moisture that is formulated especially for your hair.
- Avoid exposing your hair to water that has a high chlorine or salt content. No, this doesn’t mean any less beach or pool time! Rather, it is vital that you rinse your hair immediately after being in the water and then treat your hair with a deep conditioner or coconut oil. You may also want to apply a UV protectant to your hair if you will be in the sun for a long time.
- Make frequent hair appointments. Because dry hair is more likely to develop split ends having a regular hair appointment can go a long way towards keeping it healthy. At true Salon, we are happy to get you set up on a schedule. Just give us a call.
- Avoid using hair products that contain sulfates, alcohol, and other chemicals. Look for products that are natural and that are designed to replenish, strengthen, and deep condition your locks.
- Try to limit how often you style your hair with heat tools. And, when you do use heat tools be sure that they are ionic thermal tools and to apply a heat protectant such as Nutriplenish Leave-In Conditioner.
- If coloring your hair is part of your routine, look into ammonia-free products. You might also want to try a balayage as it is applied less often. Our true Salon stylists can help you decide.
- Use the right combs and brushes. For starters, never brush your hair when it is wet. Rather, apply a leave-in conditioner and use a wide-tooth comb. When brushing your hair, opt for a good quality boar hairbrush.
- Take time weekly to apply a hot oil treatment. This is especially helpful if your hair is both curly and dry!
- Taking vitamin supplements and foods that are rich in Vitamin B, folic acid, magnesium, sulfur silica, zinc or beta-carotene can help moisturize your hair from the inside out.
- Layer your conditioners. If you have thick hair then this is especially beneficial. Consider using a rinse-out conditioner after every shampoo, then follow it up with a leave-in spray. Then once a week, use a deep conditioning mask.
Ready to give your dry hair a new look? Great! Be sure to talk to us about these products and schedule your next hair appointment. Our true Salon team can’t wait to see you!